Yandex considers all features that are relevant to your business when promoting a website. It is crucial to not only cover semantics by creating optimized catalog pages and working out the structure and sections of categories, but also create new pages taking into consideration all properties of goods and services.
Yandex’s fundamental requirements for website quality are centered primarily on user-friendliness and quick response to requests.
- Yandex search’s main purpose is to get the user to the right answer as fast as possible.
- A website that is useful and user-friendly is one that is good. This website is good if the user can read it and then look at the photos to find the section they need.
- Websites that offer original content and services should be created. Advertisement is not what users visit your site for.
- Consider users and not search engines.
- Be careful about the design.
Yandex, in other words, calls for sites to be developed not for SEO promotion but for people.
Let’s now take a closer look at the indicators that the site must possess to fulfill Yandex’s requirements.
The stages of search engine optimization to promote in the TOP of Yandex
Site technical audit
No matter how good the site is externally, Yandex.Help will not allow us to promote or develop it until we have checked all technical parameters.
When a site is approached by seo-specialists for promotion, the first thing they do is request access to the site and metrics. Webmaster. Why is this necessary? You can report on Yandex.Webmaster that the site appears on the network or that there are errors on the site. This tool allows you to interact directly with the search engine. You can also access all information on critical issues at yandex.Webmaster.
2. Robots file.txt
It is hard to underestimate the importance of files that affect the indexing of site pages. This file is what search engines first see. Robots.txt should consider these parameters:
- The User-Agent is an instruction. It describes the rules for specific search engines, such as Yandex. Or, universally for all search bots.
- Disallow can be used to prohibit the indexing of a section or a page. It is necessary to ban all technical pages (for example, pages that contain personal data or the admin panel) from indexing.
- Allow — A reverse directive that allows indexing a page or section of a section previously prohibited.
- Sitemap – An XML file that contains all important pages and sections.
3. Site Map
This file allows search robots to see the structure of the site in a more detailed form. It greatly simplifies indexing. Sitemaps should not include service pages or other pages that are not required to be indexed.
4. URL generation errors
These are the things we see when we work with every second site (and more often), let’s just name a few.
4.1. Pages that are duplicated or not present
We often see pages with identical content on sites under different addresses. This can increase the time it takes to index the site in Yandex, and cause problems for the search engine when selecting a page that is relevant.
We are going to get rid of duplicate content on all pages.
- For pages that don’t exist, configure correct handling of 404 errors
- For duplicate pages, configure forwarding using 301 server responses.
We remove duplicate pages from the web site as we go.
This problem must be solved not only at the page level, but also in the system that generates duplicate pages.
4.2. Incorrect URL Structure
It is crucial that the site’s URL structure is correct, understandable by humans and not too long. Yandex ranks sites with unreadable URLs lower than those that are clear and easy to read. As an example, we can again cite our website and section https://kokoc.com/uslugi/prodvizhenie-po-trafiku/, where there is a clear hierarchy from the service folder, while the url is easy to read.
5. Checking the bread crumbs and navigation menu
Yandex promotes sites with simple and well-thought-out navigation. The site’s hierarchy of sections and subsections is built using deep analytics and collected semantics. The site’s main sections are available to the user within one click. This is an important rule when building the structure.
You should not overlook such an important parameter as linking, breadcrumbs. This will always help the user get back to the root partition.
6. Existence of “broken connections”
Broken links to pages that return a “404” response from the server are known as “broken” in SEO jargon. These links can negatively impact the behavioral indicators and cause a rapid decline in the number of Yandex requests. We remove such links or create redirects to the correct pages.
7. Micromarkup on the site
This is the markup that identifies the content on a site’s pages. It allows search engines to understand the content better. Micromarkup can also be used to create a readable excerpt. Yandex explains in detail the rules for micro-markup.
A simple example of how to mark up a recipe website using the Recipe schema.
8. Mobile version
Some topics have as high as 60%-70% mobile usage. Therefore, any modern site must provide a mobile-friendly version. Yandex’s most important ranking factors are speed and availability of a mobile site.
Yandex has turbo page technology that speeds up the loading of the site after issuance. These pages are created using an upload file and stored on high performance Yandex servers. Turbo pages are a positive ranking factor.
Structure and semantic core
When designing the site’s structure, logic and search demand should be considered. We will gather extensive semantics and then group queries across pages before we can provide design guidelines. Based on the clustering, we will make recommendations for finalizing structure and creating new sections for promotion.
- Cluster and collect queries We use Yandex Wordstat and Yandex Webmaster to collect all the relevant statistics and tools. We may also use third-party services such as Keys.so and Rush Analytics, SpyWords or Serpstat if necessary. After selecting request frequency and collecting them, the core must then be distributed across pages. We use Yandex’s TOP-10 methods to cluster requests.
- Construction of the structure We are guided by logic and navigation ease based on the collected core and the division of requests into clusters. This is how we create the future site structure, which corresponds to the best coverage of all semantics within the topic.
- It is not necessary to look at the structures of sites that are similar in your topic and make the same successful decisions when constructing the structure.
- Avoid nesting too much in the main sections or root pages. It is best to make them available within 1 click of any page on your site.
How to correctly fill in Title and Description tags
Yandex’s most important factors for ranking sites in text are the Title tag and H1 titles. It is important to include keywords that promote a page. There are no universal algorithms that can be used to determine the completeness and number of requests included in the header. You can however find information on the network about the required number characters in headers. Each optimizer makes the decision on whether to follow these recommendations based on their experience and analysis of a particular site.
It is not a bad idea to look at the TOP-10 headlines in your section on other sites.
Don’t forget the logic! The title should convey the essence of the page.
Yandex uses the Title tag to create a title for search results. You should not put all your requests in the header. This will decrease the CTR and weigh each word. The title should contain the most important search queries and the essence.
Although the Description tag is not considered important in the text ranking formula the content of the page will determine the CTR. Yandex may use it to create a snippet from the page in search results in certain cases.
Texts available on the site
These values include the presence or absence of text, page volume, number of occurrences, structure, number of lists, pictures, and other factors. They should all be based on the need to disclose the subject of the request as well as the ease of accessing information on the site. Create content that is easy to understand so that site visitors can find the answer to their questions and want to share it.
Analyzing one search query in a cluster can help you to determine the visitor’s needs and solve his problem.
Make changes to the site’s content
Your site is always evolving. This can be seen by constant work on the semantics, adding new pages, and updating existing content. Yandex will give you the top ranking site.
External factors (links).
Yandex links have been gone for a century, and they no longer matter in the commercial ranking formula. These factors exist, so it is important to use them to your advantage, even if you are not able to rank in Google.
Considerations when you work with links
- Smooth growth of the site’s link profile (especially for young sites);
- The site’s quality
- Thematicity of donors
- Relevance of the link to page content
- Clickability of the Link: If there’s a way to place a hyperlink on the site that users can click, do it!
Yandex commercial ranking factors
This group is the most important in Yandex’s ranking formula. Instead of evaluating the user, the search engine should assess whether a potential visitor can trust this company to solve his problem.
Sites should be filled with the most accurate information to instill trust.
- Information about the company including its history, management, and details.
- Contacts with the address map and directions to the office / store;
- Description of the services in detail
- current discounts, promotions;
- Information about delivery and payment methods
The number of requirements can increase if you are not dealing with a corporate website but an online shop.
- Large, constantly replenished selection
- Detail description on the product cards
- high-quality photos;
- The correct price indication, which includes both the cost in numerical equivalent and the currency. It will look something like this for rubles: Price: 100 rubles
- Product reviews
- Specifications of technical nature;
- The ability to compare products
- Selection of similar products
- Components or additional goods
- discount goods;
- Indication of new products
- All kinds of filters, including sorting on the catalogue page.
- Cost calculator
- There are many options available for interaction between buyers and site: ordering a call, online consulting, etc. ;
- Integration with social networks is possible
The promoted online store must provide comprehensive information, be functional, and sell goods.
We recommend that you focus your efforts on the top sites in your industry when creating an online store.
Yandex behavioral ranking factors
Behavior is the most important factor in Yandex’s ranking of sites. It is the only way to see the user’s satisfaction with the site. Is the user able to return the SERP to change to another competitor after visiting your site? This means your site didn’t satisfy the user’s request. Your site will sink if there are more of these visitors.
It is not enough to just have a beautiful website design to get Yandex users to visit it. It should address the primary and related needs of the visitor, be easy to use, and satisfy the price.
This is a long, difficult and expensive process that requires careful planning. Some agencies and SEO-specialists use black methods to increase the site’s behavioral factors through imitation of bot actions. These methods can usually give you a quick result, with your site being in the TOP-10 of Yandex within 2-3 weeks. Anti-spam algorithms are not static. In the event of cheating detection, the site will be sent to the ban for eight months.
It is essential to do a thorough technical audit, page optimization, and text analysis in order to promote your website in Yandex. Then, design and usability are important.
SEO today is a skilled, integrated team that works on competitive analysis, statistical systems, and site heat maps. There are many indicators that can be tracked continuously.